The 700 Club with Pat Robertson


Becky Jones: Her Time for a Miracle

By Debbie Harper
The 700 Club“It started February 19, 1992. I was working at Providence Hospital in Cincinnati, and I had a dream. I’m in heaven. No one had to tell me, and this tall angel walked up to me. The only thing he said was, ‘It’s not your time.’ I woke up immediately. Little did I know that 24 hours later, I’d be fighting for my life.”

The next day, while Becky was working at the hospital, she reached to move a bed.  The bed had a short, and electricity shot through her body.  

“I still remember today that electricity going in through my right arm, traveling down my right leg, coming back up, shooting through my heart. It knocked the air out of me. Then it went down my left leg and came back up. It went to leave my left hand, but when it did, I thought for sure my finger tips were going to blow off. It was so powerful. I remember it throwing me back, and when it did, the hospital lights shattered everywhere. The next thing I remembered I was in intensive care.”

Her parents were the first to be notified.

“It was very devastating the news we received about her injury,” her father the Rev. Larry Callahan said, “that electrocution that took place. It began to really attack our thinking that she wouldn’t survive.”

Becky says, “I wake up in intensive care. I’m feeling things for the first time in my life.  I can’t breathe. My heart’s going so fast, and I’m scared. But the very first thing that the Lord brought right back to me, ‘It’s not your time.’”

Becky survived and was released from the hospital, but she suffered constantly.
“Just trying to walk, my heart felt like it was going to explode in my chest. So things were so very difficult for me.”

Larry says, “They were trying all kinds of medications and all kinds of treatments, but there was no correction.”

Her parents and children helped as much as they could.

Her son Jonathan says, “There'd be times where I would pull her up the steps, because she couldn't walk.  The doctors said basically, ‘Sit on the couch and crawl from here to there, because that’s all you can do.’”

After working with 19 doctors over the course of 16 years, Becky still suffered daily from the debilitating effects of the electrocution. 

Dr. Blair Grubb is one of top heart specialists in the nation. He recalls, “She was one of the more severe of the people we see.  Pretty much had very little of what we would call a normal life.”

Becky says, “It caused me to have chest pains.  When I would stand up, I would start doing somersaults. I would get so dizzy, and my heart would beat so hard and so fast. You would think I was running a marathon. I had to sit back down again.”

Dr. Grubb says, “She was very, very affected when we saw her. When she would try to stand up, her blood pressure would drop dramatically. When she was at her worst, she was bed-ridden or wheelchair bound, unable to do any of the normal activities of daily living. I didn’t have a whole lot of hope. I wasn’t encouraged with her progress.”

Becky’s heart was wearing out. Her son recalls, “She was dying. I knew it. My sister knew it. It was probably the hardest night of my life, because I really thought I was going to leave my mom that night. I was scared.”

“That was my darkest hour,” Becky confesses. “That was the blackest black of my life. My body had had enough. It had been through enough testing. It had been through enough medicine, enough procedure, and finally my body couldn't take it anymore. I knew I was dying. My heart hurt so bad. It was like someone was squeezing it so hard. I couldn't breathe. I had so much pain in my head. I'm not talking about a migraine. I'm talking horrendous pain.”

Even though they’d prayed many times before, her children asked God for a miracle.

Her daughter Haley says, “We had to come together and form a bond that we're believing for mom that she is going to make it out of this. She is going to be better than ever. She’s not going to die. She’s going to live. God has spoken to her; He is not a liar. What He says does come true. You cannot waver in faith. Disbelief will not get you anywhere. That’s what we had to focus on is that mom’s going to make it. God is healing her.”

Becky says that night a bright light filled her room and she saw Jesus Christ.

“He walked in my room, but this time, my Jesus wasn't walking in to bring me relief,” says Becky. “He was walking in as my healer, and that light completely consumed my room. His love consumed me, and the first thing that happened to me was I heard and felt a pop in my head. That pain was instantly gone. That pain on my chest was gone. It was a strength, a power, a heat-surge through my body.”

After 16 years of waiting and believing, Becky was healed.

“To see her go walking was an incredible experience,” Haley says. “I was just thrilled. The first time I saw her run, which I have never seen her run before in my life, I was like, 'Woo hoo, yeah!' I was so happy. I couldn't believe it.”

The doctor adds, “She truly experienced the miraculous recovery.”

Haley says, “He can take what’s absolutely devastated, broken, completely fragile, and restore it and make it beautiful again.”

“Thank you, Jesus,” Becky says. “I walk, I work out and I love it! It’s wonderful. God's awesome. He's allowed me to do the things that the doctors said I would never do. You will never ride a horse, ride a plane, walk or be able to work out. Now I am allowed to do these things. I fly, I walk. There's nothing I don't do. God has given everything back. Like in His word, He said He'll restore the years. He has given back those years, and I am thankful for it.”

  • Translate
  • Print Page

Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting?
Are you facing a difficult situation?

A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.